Sunday, January 15, 2017

Oleta River State Park (Cont.#5)

Talking with Ed today I reminisced about our 5 days here and he looked at me quizzically and reminded me we have been here 10 days!  Our purpose here was to wait for that magical weather window so we can cross over the Bahamas.  It was such a lovely place that it just didn't seem like we were waiting for anything, but purposefully enjoying a great vacation spot!  Well.....the window will be open to cross on Wednesday!!  We will be traveling to Dinner Key Marina in Coconut Grove tomorrow morning and will spend the next couple of days re-provisioning our refrigerator and cupboards in readiness for Wednesday night's departure from that area!  I can't believe we are this close to reaching our destination!  I have such mixed emotions - excited and a little bit nervous all at once!

To settle myself down today, my friend, Heidi, from a close-by boat, and I took a kayak ride around the river.  Heidi has her own kayak and I rented one.  What a peaceful ride we had!  Here are my photos from our excursion.  Since it's been so long since I've been on a kayak, I was reminded of how much fun I had whenever we went on a kayak ride at home.  In some of the areas it looked like we were going through a jungle!


A bright yellow large lizard in the tree.  Hard to see in the photo.

Wildlife Commission Boats


A Kind of Heron (It let me get fairly close!)
Heidi in her kayak.

The opening to the larger part of the river.

One of the bridges we went under.  The paddleboard had to duck down to get under the bridge!


A bit of a blurry picture - but it really felt like a jungle in this part!

Mangrove trees up close.  There is a $5,000 fine if you tie up any kind of water vehicle to one of the branches and/or roots!

No comments:

Post a Comment