Monday, February 6, 2017

IGUANAS!!!!!

We have made it to the part of the Bahamas trip that we considered the most exotic when we were planning the trip!!  I am so EXCITED to be here, I just can't express it enough!  I couldn't wait to see the iguanas here on the islands of Allan Cay, Leaf Cay and Southwest Allan's Cay.   Oh my God!!!!  the water is unbelievable!  I feel like I never want to leave here!  We are in a cove-like area with these islands all around us and surrounded by crystal clear blue green water.  

I am warning my readers to bear with me on the following photos.  I took what I thought were a lot of photos of birds at the beginning of our journey, well, be prepared for a lot of pictures of iguanas!  






       Everywhere Ed turned, an iguana was eyeing his feet!



                                











A baby one!



Some have a pink color and some more than others.

This was an especially large one.
                           


                    There's quite a difference in size between this tiny
                    curly tailed lizard and the iguana.  Neither one was
                    bothered by the other.

It was so fun intermingling with them.  We visited 2 of the 3 islands today, Southwest Allan's Cay and Leaf Cay.  Tomorrow we go the 3rd island, Allan's Cay.  Both of the islands we saw today had a lot of iguanas on them.  As soon as we beached our dinghy, the iguanas would come out of the bushes to see if we brought any food.  They are very curious about people and are not shy about coming close.  If I reached down to try to pet one, they would run away with a very cute waddle.  I found a piece of lettuce in the water and I gave it to them, they were no longer shy about coming right up to your feet to get some.  I didn't dare try to feed them from my hand - they were aggressive only when being fed.  You are not supposed to feed them.  I fed them only food that was already on the ground near them.

They often chased each other.  The big ones especially made sure the smaller ones knew who was in charge.  When I threw some of the lettuce to them it was quite a scramble to see who would get it.  The larger ones would chase the smaller ones away from the area.  They seem not to be able to see very well.  I would throw a piece and it would land in front of one of them and they wouldn't get it.  It looked more like they relied on their sense of smell.  It did seem like they could see color, though.  There was a rope on the ground with a piece of bright red tape on the end and one of the iguanas bit at the red tape.

Next segment........

No comments:

Post a Comment