Saturday, February 11, 2017

Highbourne Cay and Norman's Cay

 From the Iguanas we continued to travel South to Highbourne to get gas and water. This had a beautiful marina which we had considered briefly until hearing the cost - $3.50 a foot per night. They did have a small store and I managed to find some soy sauce.


Our next stop was to Norman's Cay.  The notoriety of this Cay was that some time ago it was run by a drug lord.  He had his own runway on the island for his planes to come and go with cocaine and drug money.  With the increase in his business and more and more money coming to him on the island, he had to have bigger and bigger planes.  One of his planes, a DC-3, crashed in the water and remains there decaying and can be seen very well.  The cockpit is above water and the remains of the rest of the plane are under water.  At high tide, nothing can be seen of the plane.  The drug lord is still in prison.


We were able to do some snorkeling around the plane.  We anchored close enough to the wreck that we could swim over to it and stand on it and Ed dove through the cockpit.  This was the first snorkeling we did on the trip.  I had forgotten how much fun it was to snorkel! 
Ed getting his snorkel gear on. Intense concentration!

Here I am already for the fun!



I was able to get some underwater pictures because of the extreme kindness of Sarah who let me borrow her good underwater camera!  Thanks, Sarah!  It's been so fun taking photographs with it!


Ed thinks these are Sargeant Major Fish.  Someone else said they are Jacks.  Very pretty, but tend to give a nip once in a while.  As long as I was moving, they couldn't get me.  The minute I stood still, one nipped me on the knee!  Didn't hurt much at all, just startled me!  It's like the fish we feed in Maine that nibble on our toes!

From here we go onto Shroud's Cay.  Wonder what will be in store for us there? .........

No comments:

Post a Comment