Thursday, March 23, 2017

Warderick Wells

We returned to Warderick Wells to wait out a blow that was expected to come, and, besides, we really loved the place from our first visit!

After setting our anchor, we set out to snorkel.  They have a wonderful coral reef there with a great variety of fish to see.  Since this is a park, there is no fishing or hunting allowed.  There are lots of very large lobsters in holes in the reef.  (Ed says they are looking up at us going - "na-na-na-na-na-na!!")

We did snorkeling the first and the second day we were there.  After that, we were stuck on the boat with some very strong winds.  We did meet our neighbors on Sundowner, Doug and Deb, and they introduced us to their friends - Robert and Rhonda on Eagle II and Mike and Linda on Fair Winds.  We had drinks and appetizers on Sundowner's boat one evening, on our boat one evening and on the last night we went over to Fair Wind's boat.  All three couples are heading South, mostly together.  They plan on meeting up down the road.

The park had a happy hour on Saturday on the beach.  That was a lot of fun.  We met quite of few people from the other boats in the harbor.  

A funny thing happened on the way to the happy hour.  I was getting into the dinghy to wait for Ed who was getting things from the cabin, when the dinghy went too far away from the boat,  the water was choppy,  I lost my balance, and into the water I went!  Ed sure was surprised to find me in the water between the dinghy and the boat!  I didn't tie the dinghy tight enough to the boat.  It was a very cool fall - and I couldn't stop laughing!  Back on the boat I went and changed my clothes.

A not-so-funny thing happened right before my falling in the water episode - when I was moving the dinghy from the back of the boat to the side ladder, I pulled a muscle in my arm (my right one).  It still hurts when I lift my arm up.  It's getting a little better every day.  The day after it happened, Ed tied my arm down with an ace bandage to remind me not to use my arm.  It helped.  I am still favoring it, hoping it will heal quickly.  It is healing but not as fast as I would like.  Getting good at doing things with the left hand.

Here are photos from our first day of snorkeling at Warderick Wells:

Grouper

Butterflyfish

Needlefish


The closest fish I could find that matches this one is a Wrasse. 

I loved the coloring on this fish.  I couldn't find one like this in my book.











This is a Nassau Grouper.  It is a very large fish and has some unusual markings.

Obviously, a turtle, but I was so excited to see one near me.  I didn't feed this one!

This was an amazing sight - an Eagle Ray!  The wing span was huge and look how long the tail was!  Ed came over to show it to me - it swam right under me and I didn't even know it!

Right after I saw the turtle I saw at least 4 more Eagle Rays swim by!

These fish looked like they were playing hide and seek!


Here are photos from our second day of our snorkeling at Warderick Wells:

Stoplight Parrotfish - Terminal Phase
This fish looks like he was smiling at me!  I put his picture on my laptop wallpaper and posted him on facebook.


This is where I spotted a Lemon Shark - by the time I registered it was a shark, turned on the camera, and aimed - no shark in the picture!  Fortunately, it was not very close and paid no attention to me.

Butterflyfish (Can you tell I like these kind of fish?)

Another turtle

Nassau Grouper - a different angle

This was the neatest personal experience for me - this large school of big Yellowtail Snappers swam right in front of me - I swam right next to them for quite a ways!


This is the last of my underwater photos and the last of the snorkeling for the trip.  It was such a wonderful experience and I will forever remember all of God's creatures that are here for us to enjoy and take care of!  

Highbourne Cay and Palm Cay coming up next.....







No comments:

Post a Comment